Wednesday, April 13, 2005

An Indonesian Handicap

A Couple of weeks ago, I started from my office early enough to watch the Ind Vs.Pak Encounter.Since, I dont hav a Facility at my home to watch any of the Indian Channels,I used to watch the Indian Programmes & Cricket matches, as such, at some of my friend's home, where there are Parabolas and Decoders to treat our eyes.

That saturday, was no different frm any of the other Cricket days.I started frm my office around 2 in the afternoon, by then,the Indian batting got over.So, we were hurrying to our friend's place which is about a 8-9 km drive frm my office.

The "Road-side beggars", mostly the ladies, having their infants in their arms, and youths in their teens, usually are in large numbers in Indonesian Road Signals.This particular thingys caught my attention whenever i passedby that signal.

Here, the normal practice is like, asking Wages for no-work.I've myself wondered a lotta times, guys placing themselves in the middle of the highways and showing the drivers of the BMWs and Benz's how to take a U-Turn as if but for their acts, the drivers dont know how to take the U-turn, and asking their usual Rp.1,000.And, the Chinese ppl, having stamped themselves as the main players of the Indonesian economy & its daily-changing goddamned culture,jus are happy to keep these young & energetic indonesians as wat they are, the road-side beggars-personified, wud encourage them not to work but make them happy with giving them the so-called minimum denomination of the Indonesian currency - Rp.1000.

And, there was this man, in his Thirties,with his hand paralyzed and i hav see him a lotta times,selling some water bottles in that traffic signal.He is certainly not of a beggar-cadre,Surprisingly.

As i said, I was on my way to my friend's place with two of my friends together in a Toyota-Kijang.We stopped ourselves in the Traffic Signal. and That man came at our side having kept his paralyzed hand down and raising the other with which he was selling the Water bottles.Since, Myself & my friend had walked abt 1/2 a km to reach for this my friend's car, we were really feeling thirsty and I asked my friend to get me a bottle of water.The friend who was on the wheel, opened the door and asked with that man a bottle of mineral water.

"Mas, mau satu bottle Aqua" ( Boss, need a water bottle ) said my friend.

"Yeah, pak.Ambil ini" ( yes sir. Here it is ) Replied tht man handing the bottle to my friend.

"Berapa Mas ???" ( how much is that??? )

"Satu seribu rupiah, pak" ( One bottle is Rp.1000)

"Oh.. ok mas.itu adalah lima Ribu rupiah.Tidak usah kembali.boleh peigang, pak." ( oh.. okie.. Here i give u Rp.5,000. No need for the change. u can keep it )

"Pak. Maaf pak.Kalau saya boleh ambil uang gratis, tidak usah jual Aqua, pak.Saya bisa kerja pak.Tuhan kasih dua tangan untuk saya.Satu saya udah kasih untuk Tuhan kembali.Terima kasih untuk beli Aqua, pak". ( Sir, very sorry.If i thought of begging, wat is the need for selling this Aqua bottles? I can work, sir.God had given me with two hands.And, i had given him back one.I dont wanna beg or steal for my survival.Thank you for buying the Aqua bottle. ) Saying that, he returned my friend with the balance Rp.4000.

Myself & my other friend were now staring to that friend who was driving.And, the next minute, We three were watching the man leave to the next car.

I made myself sure, Hard work never Dies even if there is a Handicap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rathish said...

such things literally reaffirm our faith in values and hardwork isn't it! great post!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home