Saturday, August 13, 2005

That Final Over

18 runs to get off my last over.They still had 3 wickets left in the bench apart from the wicket in the middle.It was pretty obvious that my captain would depend on me to bowl the last over, as it had always been.Thankfully, on previous 2 occasions, my bowling proved to be tough for the opponents to score off in such crunch situations.
He passed on the ball to me and made a winning smile already, simply because 18 runs off the 6 possible balls is tough enought for any team considering the hot conditions.Frankly, I was a bit over-confident about myself, thanks to my own best performances previously.
I knew already that the batsmen who were up against me were capable of stunning anybody.But, i was (over)-confident about myself.
The first ball, i thought would decide the fate of the game, i bowled was just outside the offstump and just short enough for any batsman. And, he pulled it off effortlessly through the long-on boundary for a huge six. I was stunned as well as worried. I had never thought he could score off with such an effortless ease.
12 off 5 balls.....
I was almost sure, everything depended on this very ball. If he could put one through again, then they would be home.This time, I bowled a very juicy middle-length over-pitched delivery and anyone could have hit that for a double-six. That was what happened as the result.It sailed into the Square-leg Stance.
I could realise my captain came running at me.. and was asking, "what's happening, huh?? Cant u contain a batsman when 18 to get off the last over??" i had never seen him worried and angry.I knew it was the perfect time to prove myself !!!
I realised, I had to deliberately apply some tactics to contain him, if not i cud get his wicket.So, i thought of my usual weapon -- The Slower One. The one i was famous for.
I bowled this one into the middle & off and a bit slower in pace. The batsman was caught into twin-minds and he tried to hit into the stance again and couldnt connect the ball, had to settle for a single. At that time, i knew I had a upper hand, since i knew the batsman now on strike was less-dangerous compared to the other one.
The last 3 balls i bowled were just simple normal deliveries. The best part was,the final ball being a full-toss and the batsman could only get a single and we were home by about 3 runs.I was particularly jubilant about my own record of bowling the last over was in tact and it helped our team to win such crunch games...

3 Comments:

Blogger Meira said...

congrats:)

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

9:50 AM  
Blogger sameer said...

nice post thank for sharing this.
T20 World Cup 2020 Fixture Download
T20 World Cup 2020 Schedule Download

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home